LatestWorld

Syria rejects Israeli justification for strike on airbase over alleged Turkish military buildup: Report

Israel dropped at least eight bombs on runways and hangars, damaging recently rebuilt runways, Axios reported

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani rejected Israel’s justification for striking a Syrian airbase. PHOTO: ANADOLU

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani rejected Israel’s justification for striking a Syrian airbase this week, saying Damascus had informed Israel beforehand that there were no plans to establish a Turkish base or permanent military presence at the site, Axios reported Wednesday.

Al-Shaibani said rehabilitation work at the Abu al-Duhur airbase in northern Syria was intended for the Syrian Air Force and that Israeli officials had been informed of the nature of the work before the attack.

“There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site,” al-Shaibani said in written responses to Axios.

Israel dropped at least eight bombs on runways and hangars at the airbase early Tuesday, damaging runways that had recently been rebuilt, according to Axios. No casualties were reported.

US and Israeli officials told the outlet that Israel had informed the Trump administration that the strike was intended to prevent a Turkish military buildup at the base, located about 45 miles (72 kilometers) from the Turkish border.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed Wednesday that Israel had warned Syria before the attack against allowing a Turkish presence at the facility.

Al-Shaibani, however, said work at the base was limited to repairing the airfield and facilities damaged during Syria’s civil war.

“There was no Turkish military build-up at the base in any sense that would justify such an interpretation,” he said, adding that the facility was largely empty and had not yet become fully operational.

“Therefore, linking the strike to a Turkish military presence at the base is not supported by the situation on the ground as it stood at the time,” he added.

The Syrian foreign minister acknowledged that Turkish military officers had visited the airbase several days before the Israeli attack but said the visit was part of ongoing military cooperation involving training and the exchange of expertise.

He said Syria, as it rebuilds its military and civilian institutions, has engaged in similar cooperation with Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, and Russia.

“Syria is a sovereign state, and it has the right to establish relations of cooperation and alliance with any country, including Türkiye,” al-Shaibani said.

Syria, Israel were in contact before strike

Al-Shaibani said Syrian and Israeli officials had been in contact in the days leading up to the attack and that Damascus had explained the nature of the construction at the airbase.

Syrian officials made clear that the facility “is Syrian and will remain under Syrian sovereignty and control” and that no permanent Turkish presence was planned, he said.

“The nature of the activity at the base was known, and there was no basis for interpreting the rehabilitation work as the establishment of a Turkish military site on Syrian territory,” he added.

Read More: Israel’s strike in Syria ‘provocative and dangerous,’ deepening rift with US: opposition leader
 

Al-Shaibani also said that he had been in contact with the Trump administration before and after the attack in an effort to prevent further escalation.

“We made clear to the US that we do not trust Israel’s intentions towards Syria, and that we believe current Israeli policy, including its military escalation and actions on the ground, does not contribute to stability in Syria or the region,” he said.

Following the strike, Damascus contacted Washington and several other countries to protest the attack and seek to prevent its recurrence, according to al-Shaibani.

He said Syria wanted to emphasize the need to respect its sovereignty and prevent its territory from becoming “an arena for settling scores or expanding the regional conflict.”

Damascus remains open to talks with Israel

Despite the attack, al-Shaibani said Damascus remained interested in reaching an agreement with Israel to reduce tensions along their border.

“But de-escalation cannot be the responsibility of one side alone,” he said. “Israel must also reassess its policy towards Syria and recognise that continued military operations and attacks will not deliver long-term security, but will instead increase instability.”

He said Syria remained open to negotiations and believed political and security solutions offered the most sustainable path toward stability.

Al-Shaibani said Syria and Israel spent a year negotiating a security agreement through US mediation and had made significant progress, reaching a formula that had been agreed on paper.

“Israel subsequently backed away from its commitments, however, and the agreed formula was not implemented on the ground,” he said.

Al-Shaibani said Damascus had taken a significant number of Israeli security concerns into account during the negotiations but stressed that security “cannot be one-sided.”

With “genuine political will,” negotiations could resume and produce understandings that address the security concerns of both sides, respect Syrian sovereignty and reduce regional tensions, he added.

Türkiye to stand with Syria against Netanyahu’s ‘destabilising activities’

Türkiye will continue to stand with Syria and other regional states that pursue peaceful policies in countering the “destabilising activities” of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Communications Director Burhanettin Duran said on Thursday.

Responding to Anadolu’s questions on Netanyahu’s remarks targeting Türkiye, Duran said Netanyahu’s threats and falsehoods directed at Türkiye and Syria reflected “his growing international isolation, political fears, and delusions.”

He said attempts to mislead the international community by creating “imaginary threats and enemies” were no longer effective because the international community had reached a consensus on the nature of Israel’s policies.

Duran said reactions from the US, the UK, and the wider international community to Israel’s policies were increasing, arguing that Netanyahu had embraced such rhetoric because of upcoming elections and domestic political concerns.

“He sees hostility toward Türkiye as a political lifeline. Moreover, in competition with other radical parties, he is fueling hostility toward Türkiye and other countries in the region,” Duran said.

He added that Netanyahu was also pursuing foreign policy objectives through such rhetoric.

“His aggressive policies from Gaza to Syria and Lebanon, the settler violence he has tolerated, and the statements of extremist figures, particularly ministers in his cabinet, have reduced Israel’s image to one of the lowest points in its history,” he said.

Also Read: Pakistan condemns ‘unprovoked’ Israeli attack on Syrian airbase

Netanyahu and those he described as his accomplices were attempting to divert attention from their own actions by accusing regional countries, particularly Türkiye, Duran said.

“His attempt to blame Türkiye after attacking Syria is the clearest example of this,” he also said.

“But there is one thing they forget. The problem is not that people do not understand Israel’s policies well enough; it is that more and more people understand and reject those policies,” he said, adding: “That is why such accusations, as well as high-budget communication campaigns, produce only limited results.”

Strong regional stance

Asked whether Netanyahu’s remarks could result in Israel expanding its confrontation toward Türkiye, Duran said the international community and regional countries were taking a strong stance against what he called Netanyahu’s occupation mentality and project to ignite a regional war.

“The entire region is coming together against a strategic destabilising actor. Especially over the past three years, the whole region has witnessed the destruction and war caused by an aggressive neighbor,” he said.

Duran said the current Israeli government had abandoned diplomacy and dialogue, arguing that it equated security not with stability and diplomacy but with continuous aggression.

“The main dynamic behind its attitude toward Türkiye is not that Türkiye poses a threat to Israel, but rather that Türkiye, through its current strength and influence, pursues sound policies opposing the damage Israel causes to regional security and stability,” he said.

Commenting on criticism of Netanyahu’s remarks within Israel, Duran said Türkiye remained committed to promoting peace and reconciliation.

“Our primary concern is ending the bloodshed and suffering in the region, and the situation in Gaza and the Palestinian issue are of vital importance to us,” he said.

He added that Israeli opposition figures had frequently described Netanyahu’s anti-Türkiye rhetoric as “irresponsible, extreme, and foolish,” saying it had created concern within Israeli society.

“Even Israeli politicians admit that Israel has been losing many of its allies and has become increasingly discredited. Moreover, the policy of creating tensions with Türkiye has produced no tangible gains,” he said.

‘Genocidal Netanyahu’

Duran described Türkiye as “a NATO ally that has repeatedly reinforced its regional and global influence, strengthened its hard power, and continuously developed its advanced capabilities.”

He said the wisest course for the Israeli government would be to work toward a two-state solution instead of issuing threats to neighboring countries, targeting Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, and planning new unauthorised settlements in the occupied West Bank.

“As Türkiye, we will continue to counter the destabilising activities of genocidal Netanyahu and stand by all countries in our region, especially Syria, that pursue peaceful policies,” Duran said.

He described Türkiye as one of the region’s most experienced and deeply rooted states.

“Our state tradition is profound. We are a prudent, calm, and powerful country,” he said.

“History clearly shows that there is nothing we cannot do for our own security, the survival of our state and the well-being of our nation. That understanding has not changed today,” he noted.

Duran said Türkiye had enough experience not to fall into “the games of figures like Netanyahu, who seek to undermine peace and stability in our region.”

“We are a country respected around the world for our approach of prioritising peace and striving for peace in our region and globally,” he said.

“The prudent and peaceful foreign policy of Türkiye will thwart the bloody schemes of discredited figures like Netanyahu, who would not hesitate to set the region ablaze to secure their own political future.”

“No one can disturb the peace of our nation and our friends. Türkiye will never allow that,” he added.

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button