A US Navy destroyer spent four days without power in the South China Sea after an engineering failure disrupted essential services aboard the vessel last month.
The USS Benfold, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, was conducting routine Indo-Pacific operations on July 24 when it suffered an “engineering casualty involving its generators,” US 7th Fleet spokesperson Cmdr. Matthew Comer told CNN.
The failure left the nearly 10,000-tonne warship unable to manoeuvre independently and affected its toilets, air conditioning, galley services and drinking water.
“There were no injuries to the crew, who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism, and unwavering steadiness in their response,” Comer said.
Another US warship, the USS Robert Smalls, supplied cooked meals to the crew, while other vessels from the USS George Washington Carrier Strike Group provided assistance.
After four days without power, the Benfold was towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines for repairs. The Navy said repairs were completed by August 8 and the destroyer has returned to duty.
The cause of the failure remains under investigation.
The incident comes amid concerns that the US Navy is being stretched by the Iran war and other global commitments.
In May, another destroyer, the USS Higgins, temporarily lost power and propulsion during operations in the Indo-Pacific.