Latest

PM Shehbaz hails Trump's 'extraordinary efforts to pursue peace' after phone call with CDF, leaders of other countries


Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Sunday hailed United States President Donald Trump’s “extraordinary efforts to pursue peace”, saying the latter held a “very useful and productive call” with multiple countries’ representatives, including Chief of Defence Forces and army chief Field Marshal Asim Munir.

Trump held a phone call with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkiye, Egypt, the UAE, Jordan and Pakistan.

The premier also noted that Pakistan hoped to host another round of US-Iran negotiations soon.

In a post on X, he said Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) and Chief of Army Staff (Coas) Field Marshal Asim Munir represented Pakistan in the call, and appreciated his “tireless efforts” during the process.

“The discussions provided a useful opportunity to exchange views on the current regional situation and how to move the ongoing peace efforts forward to bring lasting peace in the region,” he said.

“Pakistan will continue its peace efforts with utmost sincerity and we hope to host the next round of talks very soon.”

Pakistan is continuing its efforts to revive the stalled Iran-US peace process after plans for a second round of negotiations in Islamabad fell through.

The first round of historic direct US-Iran talks was held in Islamabad on April 11 and 12, following a Pakistan-brokered ceasefire on April 8. It had ended without an agreement, but also without a breakdown.

Trump later called off a planned visit of US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and adviser Jared Kushner to travel to Islamabad for a second round of talks with Iran. However, he extended the ceasefire indefinitely “upon the request of Field Marshal Asim Munir, and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif”.

The latest round of contacts is taking place under heightened pressure from the US and its Middle East allies. Trump on Wednesday said talks in Iran were in the final stages, and also threatened to resume strikes if a deal is not reached in a “limited timeframe”.

Then, this weekend, he said that a ‌memorandum of understanding on a peace deal ​had been “largely negotiated” ​with Iran and would ⁠open the Strait ​of Hormuz, with details ​to be unveiled soon.

CDF Munir concluded a high-level visit to Tehran on Saturday, where he conducted intensive negotiations with the Iranian leadership that resulted in “encouraging progress towards a final understanding”, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said in a statement.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio commented about CDF Munir’s visit to Tehran, saying that the US was in “constant communication with him [and] the highest levels of our government are constantly talking to him”.

He also praised Pakistan for doing an “admirable job” trying to mediate a peace deal between Washington and Tehran.

The visit came at a time when negotiations appeared to have moved beyond political signalling into detailed bargaining over a narrow interim framework dealing with the Strait of Hormuz, Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief and guarantees against renewed military action.

Pakistan has stepped up its diplomatic efforts to break the deadlock, sending the interior minister to Tehran on Wednesday for the second time in less than a week to resuscitate negotiations. The minister had previously met Iran’s president, parliament speaker and foreign minister over the weekend.


More to follow



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button