LatestWorld

Gaza aid flotilla says Israeli forces intercepted 41 vessels, 10 still sailing

Organisers say Israeli forces intercepted ​44 boats in eastern Mediterranean, six boats were still sailing

An Israeli naval boat intercepts the Global Sumud Flotilla en route to Gaza, in an attempt to deliver aid, at sea May 18, 2026, in this screengrab taken from a handout video. Global Sumud Flotilla/Reuters

Israeli forces opened fire towards at least two vessels sailing in ​an aid flotilla bound for Gaza on Tuesday, according to video footage and ‌the flotilla organisers, but there were no reports of any casualties.

Video from the flotilla’s livestream showed soldiers firing shots at two of the boats, but the type of ammunition was not clear. Another spokesperson ​for the flotilla said six vessels had been fired at.

The Israeli military declined to ​comment, referring Reuters to the foreign ministry. A spokesperson for the foreign ⁠ministry did not immediately respond to Reuters’ questions.

The organisers said that Israeli forces had intercepted ​44 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean and six boats were still sailing.

Speaking in Ankara late on Monday, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan condemned the intervention against the “voyagers of ​hope” in the flotilla and called on the international community to act against Israel’s actions.

Israel’s foreign ministry had said on X on Monday that it “will not allow any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza”.

Ships ​from the Global Sumud Flotilla had set sail for a third time on Thursday from southern Turkiye, ‌after ⁠earlier attempts to deliver aid to Gaza were intercepted by Israel in international waters.

The group previously said there were 426 people taking part in the flotilla from 39 countries.

Israel’s foreign ministry has called on “all participants in this provocation to change course and turn back immediately”.

The United States ​Treasury said it was imposing sanctions ⁠against four people associated with what it described as the “pro-Hamas” flotilla.

Pro-Palestinian activists say Israel and the US wrongly conflate their advocacy for ​Palestinian rights with support for Hamas.

Palestinians and international aid bodies say ​supplies reaching ⁠Gaza are still insufficient, despite a ceasefire reached in October that included guarantees of increased aid.

Most of Gaza’s more than two million people have been displaced, many now living in bombed-out homes ⁠and ​makeshift tents pitched on open ground, roadsides, or atop ​the ruins of destroyed buildings.

Israel, which controls all access to the Gaza Strip, denies withholding supplies for its residents.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button