LatestPakistan

CDF Asim Munir departs for official visit to Iran: security sources

Say visit will include discussions on US-Iran talks, regional peace and stability

Photo taken and provided by the Iranian foreign ministry on April 15, 2026 shows Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (R) welcoming Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir upon his arrival at the airport in Tehran. Photo: AFP

Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir has departed for an official visit to Iran, according to security sources.

Sources said the visit will include discussions on US-Iran talks, regional peace and stability, as well as other matters of mutual interest. During the visit, he is also expected to hold meetings with senior Iranian officials and key personalities, they added.

Meanwhile, a Qatari negotiating team also arrived in Tehran on Friday in coordination with the United States to help secure a deal to end the war and resolve outstanding issues, a source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.

ReadRubio says Pakistan remains ‘primary interlocutor’ in US-Iran talks

Doha, which has worked as a mediator in the Gaza war and other areas of international tension, had till now distanced itself from playing a mediation role in the Iran ​war after it came under attack from Iranian missiles and drones during the latest conflict.

“A Qatari negotiation team is in ​Tehran on Friday,” the source said, adding that the team had travelled in coordination with the United ⁠States and was there to help “reach a final deal that would end the war and address outstanding issues with Iran.”

The Qatari ​Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

While Pakistan has served as the official mediator since fighting began, ​Qatar’s re-engagement reflects its longstanding role as a US ally in the region and a trusted back-channel between Washington and Tehran.

Last month, CDF Munir concluded a three-day visit to Iran, where he underscored the need for dialogue and de-escalation to achieve a peaceful resolution of the US-Iran conflict through diplomatic efforts, the military’s media wing said in a statement.

According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Field Marshal Munir and Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, along with a delegation, held meetings with the Iranian leadership.

“During the visit, the field marshal called on the President of Iran, Masoud Pezeshkian, and held separate meetings with the Speaker of the National Assembly, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, and the Commander of Khatam al-Anbiya Headquarters Major General Ali Abdollahi,” it said.

The ISPR said the discussions focused on fostering sustainable peace in the region, with particular emphasis on the evolving security environment, ongoing diplomatic engagements, and collaborative measures aimed at promoting long-term stability.

“The field marshal underscored the need for dialogue, de-escalation, and the peaceful resolution of outstanding issues through sustained diplomatic efforts,” the statement added.

According to the ISPR, during the visit, the field marshal expressed deep appreciation for the warm hospitality extended by the Iranian leadership and the people of Iran. He also conveyed sincere regards and best wishes from the president, the prime minister, and the people of Pakistan to the Iranian leadership, reaffirming Pakistan’s desire to further strengthen historic and brotherly ties between the two countries.

“The visit reflects Pakistan’s unwavering resolve to facilitate a negotiated settlement to the Middle East conflict and to promote peace, stability, and prosperity in the region,” the statement said.

Araghchi said he was “delighted” to welcome the field marshal on his visit. “Expressed gratitude for Pakistan’s gracious hosting of the dialogue, emphasising that it reflects our deep and great bilateral relationship. Our commitment to promoting peace and stability in the region remains strong — and shared.”

US President Donald Trump had extended the ceasefire with Iran upon the request of Field Marshal Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, saying it would remain in place until the Islamic Republic’s proposal was submitted. In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the decision had been taken in the context of the situation in Iran and at the request of the Pakistani leadership.

“Based on the fact that the government of Iran is seriously fractured, not unexpectedly so and, upon the request of Field Marshal Asim Munir, and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, of Pakistan, we have been asked to hold our attack on the country of Iran until their leaders and representatives can come up with a unified proposal,” he said.

He added that he had directed the US military to maintain its preparedness while continuing the blockade.

“I have therefore directed our military to continue the blockade and, in all other respects, remain ready and able, and will therefore extend the ceasefire until their proposal is submitted, and discussions are concluded, one way or the other,” Trump said.

PM Shehbaz responded to Trump in a post on X and offered thanks.

“On my personal behalf and on behalf of Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, I sincerely thank President Trump for graciously accepting our request to extend the ceasefire to allow ongoing diplomatic efforts to take their course.

“With the trust and confidence reposed in, Pakistan shall continue its earnest efforts for the negotiated settlement of the conflict.

“I sincerely hope that both sides will continue to observe the ceasefire and be able to conclude a comprehensive ‘Peace Deal’ during the second round of talks scheduled at Islamabad for a permanent end to the conflict,” he said.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button