Latest

Search operation continues at Karachi’s Gul Plaza; three more bodies identified


Search operation continues at Karachi’s Gul Plaza; three more bodies identified

KARACHI: The search operation at Gul Plaza continued on Wednesday after a devastating fire, which has so far claimed 28 lives, with medical authorities identifying three more bodies.

The fire had erupted on Saturday night. The plaza, parts of which collapsed due to the blaze, was a ground-plus-three-storey building with 1,200 shops spread over 8,000 square yards.

According to a statement by Edhi services, three of the 21 unidentified bodies at the Edhi morgue have been identified. The remains belong to a 15-year-old girl and two men.

On Tuesday, a large crowd was gathered at the scene, with law enforcement creating temporary barriers to prevent people from approaching the plaza. Smoke could still be seen emanating from the building’s rubble.

Police surgeon Dr Summaiya Syed told Dawn that the death toll had reached 28.

She said the dead also appeared to include five women. The police surgeon said that officials had conducted a post-mortem examination of “fragmentary human remains”.


More to follow.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button