LatestWorld

87 Gaza-bound aid flotilla activists launch hunger strike over Israeli detention

Israel has abducted aid workers from international waters for the second time in three weeks

A Palestinian flag is seen as people gather at the port of Ermoupolis before the departure of two sailing boats, Electra and Oxygen, part of the Global Sumud Flotilla aiming to reach Gaza and break Israel’s naval blockade, on Syros island, Greece, September 14, 2025. Photo: Reuters

Eighty-seven activists aboard the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla, who are being held by Israel, have begun a hunger strike to protest their detention and show solidarity with Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails.

In a post on X on Tuesday, the flotilla said that for the second time in three weeks, the Israeli army, which claimed to be “the most moral army,” had abducted their companions from international waters.

It added that “in protest of their illegal abduction and in solidarity with the over 9,500 Palestinian hostages held in Israeli dungeons, at least 87 flotilla participants have committed to a hunger strike until they are released.”

The flotilla called for the release of all detainees held by Israeli authorities and urged governments to condemn the “act of piracy.”

The flotilla also called for lifting the blockade on the Gaza Strip and for the release of all abductees from the flotilla, as well as all Palestinian prisoners.

Read: Israel says 430 Gaza flotilla activists being transferred to Israel

Global Sumud Flotilla on Tuesday said that all 50 vessels in its aid convoy had been seized by Israel.

Together, they were carrying 428 people from 44 countries, including 78 Turkish citizens.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry said in a post on X that all activists had been transferred to Israeli vessels and are on their way to Israel, where they would be able to meet with their consular representatives.

The flotilla departed on Thursday from the Turkish district of Marmaris in a new attempt to break the illegal Israeli blockade imposed on Gaza since 2007.

This was not the first such incident involving the flotilla.

Read More: Pakistan, nine countries condemn Israeli attack on Gaza-bound flotilla

In late April, the Israeli army attacked flotilla boats in international waters off the Greek island of Crete. The convoy at the time included 345 participants from 39 countries, including Turkish citizens.

Israel has imposed a crippling blockade on the Gaza Strip since 2007, leaving the territory’s 2.4 million people on the verge of starvation.

The Israeli army launched a brutal two-year offensive on Gaza in October 2023, killing more than 72,000 people, injuring over 172,000 and causing massive destruction across the besieged territory.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button