Latest

China condemns Islamabad imambargah attack, says it supports Pakistan in safeguarding national security


China condemns Islamabad imambargah attack, says it supports Pakistan in safeguarding national security

China condemned on Sunday the deadly suicide bombing at an imambargah in Islamabad earlier this week, asserting that it “firmly supports” the Pakistani government in safeguarding national security and stability.

“China is deeply shocked by the deadly explosion in Pakistan’s capital Islamabad and the heavy casualties it has inflicted. China mourns for the lives lost, and our hearts go out to the injured and those who lost their loved ones.

“China strongly condemns the attack, opposes any form of terrorism and firmly supports the Pakistani government in safeguarding national security and stability and protecting the safety of the people,” a statement by the Chinese foreign ministry said.

The attack took place inside the mosque at the Imambargah Qasr-i-Khadijatul Kubra, located in the Tarlai area of what is considered ‘rural Islamabad’, off Lehtrar Road. It left over 30 people dead and more 100 injured.

Police officials said the blast occurred after Friday prayers, adding that the attacker was stopped at the gate of the mosque, where he detonated his explosive payload.

Footage and photos from the blast site showed several bodies lying near the mosque’s front gate, with people and debris also strewn across the red-carpeted prayer hall.

Dozens more wounded were lying in the garden outside the mosque as people called for help.

The brazen attack elicited an outpouring of grief from across the country, and prompted condemnations from most world capitals, as well as local political and religious groups.


More to follow



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button