LatestWorld

NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without alliance involvement

NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without alliance involvement

NATO’s top commander convened a videoconference earlier this week to facilitate possible contributions to support freedom of navigation in the Strait of ‌Hormuz, his spokesperson told Reuters, adding that this is not a NATO mission.

“Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe hosted a meeting of interested Allies at the chief of defence level on Wednesday, 19 Aug 26, ⁠in order to facilitate their possible contributions to support freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz,” a spokesperson for the alliance’s top commander U.S. Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich said on Friday.

“To be clear, this is not a NATO mission. But given NATO’s unique strengths in its ability to bring together Allies and understand the ‌capabilities ⁠they bring to bear, it makes sense for NATO to facilitate in this way,” the spokesperson added.

NATO allies have sought to avoid direct involvement in the Iran conflict, instead focusing ⁠on plans outside the alliance to reopen the strait, which before February carried about a fifth of all traded oil.

France and ⁠Britain have led efforts to build a coalition among roughly a dozen countries to guarantee safe passage ⁠through the strait once tensions ease or the conflict is resolved, though any long-term arrangement would ultimately require Iranian acquiescence. —Reuters 

The News Digital

At The News Digital, our editors combine entertainment savvy with global reporting expertise. Expect authoritative coverage of royals, Hollywood, and trending topics, plus clear, reliable updates across science, politics, sports, and business. We keep it accurate, timely, and easy to understand, so you can stay ahead.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button