LatestWorld

At least 15 killed in Ukraine as Russia launches massive aerial attack on Kyiv

At least 15 killed in Ukraine as Russia launches massive aerial attack on Kyiv

At least 15 people have been killed and 33 injured after Russia launched one of its heaviest missile and drone attacks on Kyiv since the war began.

Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said homes, a school and a children’s medical centre were among buildings damaged in the overnight bombardment, which continued into Thursday.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Russia used a combination of ballistic and cruise missiles alongside drones.

“It was a massive attack – the Russians had been preparing for a long time, combining different types of ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and drones, aiming to cause as much damage as possible to civilian infrastructure,” Zelenskyy said.

Ukraine’s air force said Russia launched dozens of missiles and 168 drones, intercepting 41 of 46 cruise missiles and 145 drones, but failed to shoot down the high-speed ballistic missiles.

Eight people were reported killed in Kyiv’s Solomianskyi district, where a multistorey residential building was struck.

Russia also targeted areas surrounding the capital, with one person killed in the Brovary district. Warehouses in Boryspil, including a Ukrainian Red Cross facility, were also attacked.

Romania and Poland activated military responses during the bombardment. Romania said a drone entered its airspace before crashing in an unpopulated area, while Poland mobilised aircraft and air defences near Ukraine.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button