LatestWorld

Disney accuses Trump administration of targeting ABC in new FCC lawsuit

Disney accuses Trump administration of targeting ABC in new FCC lawsuit

The Walt Disney Company and ABC have sued the US Federal Communications Commission, seeking to block an early licence renewal process affecting eight ABC television stations.

The lawsuit, filed on Tuesday, accuses the Trump administration of targeting ABC because of its programming and asks a federal court in Washington to intervene.

In April, the FCC ordered eight Disney-owned ABC stations to submit broadcast licence renewal applications years ahead of schedule.

The move came amid scrutiny of ABC programme The View and an investigation into Disney’s diversity, equity and inclusion policies.

“Acting through the Federal Communications Commission, the Administration has waged a retaliatory campaign against ABC for a single reason: it disapproves of what ABC broadcasts,” the lawsuit states.

Disney described the FCC’s action as an “existential threat” and is seeking a temporary restraining order preventing the regulator from taking action related to the early applications.

FCC chairman Brendan Carr has previously rejected claims of retaliation, arguing broadcasters using public airwaves must meet public-interest obligations.

Disney CEO Josh D’Amaro told CNBC on Friday the company would defend its editorial principles.

“We’re going to stand up to what we believe is journalistic integrity. And we’re not going to be told how to run that side of our business,” D’Amaro said. 



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button