LatestPakistan

CDF Munir meets Iranian President Pezeshkian for high-level talks to advance diplomacy

Pakistan’s mediation efforts with Iran saw ‘positive and constructive’ talks as CDF Munir met Iranian leadership

Chief of Army Staff and Chief of Defence Forces Field Marshal Asim Munir met with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian in Tehran for high-level talks to advance diplomatic initiatives. PHOTO: PRESSTV ON X

Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of the Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir concluded his “highly productive” visit to Iran, which resulted in “encouraging progress” towards a final understanding for the framework for a deal with the United States following intensive negotiations with Tehran, the military’s media wing said on Saturday.

According to a statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), CDF Munir concluded a short but “highly productive” official visit to Iran.

“During the visit, the field marshal held high-level engagements with Iranian leadership as part of ongoing mediation efforts aimed at promoting de-escalation and constructive engagement, amidst the regional tensions that have simmered after the ceasefire on April 8, 2026,” it added.

Read: Iran says US ‘betrayals, contradictions, excessive demands’ disrupting talks

It added that CDF Munir called on Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Speaker of the Iranian Parliament Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.

“The discussions remained focused upon expediting the consultative process underway to support peace and stability in the region and to reach to a conclusive agreement,” said the statement.

According to ISPR, the discussions were held in a positive and constructive environment and contributed meaningfully to the mediation process.

“The intensive negotiations over the last twenty-four hours have resulted in encouraging progress towards a final understanding,” it said, adding that the Iranian leadership appreciated Pakistan’s role in the process.

“The Iranian leadership appreciated Pakistan’s sincere and constructive role in facilitating dialogue and promoting peaceful settlement of regional issues,” said the statement.

 

Earlier, upon arrival, CDF Munir was received by the Iranian interior minister, along with senior civil and military officials.

Reuters reported Iran’s top negotiator and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf told CDF Munir during a meeting that Iran would not compromise on the rights of its nation and country, state TV reported.

He said that Iran’s armed forces had rebuilt their capabilities during the ceasefire and that if the US “foolishly restarts the war”, the consequences would be “more crushing and bitter”.

The field marshal had reached Tehran on Friday as part of ongoing mediation efforts. He was received and warmly welcomed by Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni. Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi was also present at the reception.

In recent months, Pakistan drew international attention for its involvement in mediation efforts between Iran and the US amid the Middle East crisis.

On February 28, the US and Israel launched a joint offensive against Iran. Tehran retaliated with strikes on Israel and other Gulf countries hosting US assets.

Pakistan subsequently positioned itself as a key mediator for peace, brokering a two-week ceasefire and hosting the highest-level US-Iran talks since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Although the “Islamabad Talks” ended without agreement, the ceasefire was held and later extended upon Islamabad’s request.

Since then, the two sides have been exchanging proposals and counter-proposals in an effort to reach a middle ground and resume a second round of direct talks aimed at ending the conflict, which has already disrupted global energy supplies and daily life across the region.

While Pakistan remains hopeful for the resumption of direct talks, sources said there was no “significant” change in Iran’s earlier stance on the nuclear issue in its response to US proposals.

According to sources, Tehran’s response — delivered to the United States via Islamabad last week — primarily focused on an “immediate” end to hostilities, with “little [in it] in terms of Washington’s core demand about Iran’s nuclear programme”.

Iran, the sources added, has proposed “broader and separate” talks on the nuclear issue, citing its “complexity”.

However, Tehran has “reiterated” its willingness to halt uranium enrichment for a period of five years, while rejecting Washington’s demand for a 20-year moratorium, according to the sources.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button