PHF, PSB trade blame after Pro League mismanagement


LAHORE: The Pakistan Sports Board (PSB) and the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) have traded blame over alleged mismanagement during the national hockey team’s participation in the second leg of the FIH Pro League in Hobart, Australia, prompting Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif to take notice and order an immediate inquiry.
The Green Shirts returned to Lahore late Tuesday night after suffering defeats in all their matches against Germany and hosts Australia, concluding a winless campaign across both legs of the competition.
Media reports highlighted serious lapses in arrangements, particularly inadequate and delayed accommodation in Hobart, which left players discontented and affected their preparation.
PHF president Tariq Hussain Bugti, speaking to Dawn, said the responsibility for all logistical and financial arrangements — including hotel bookings, air travel, TA/DA and visas — rested with the PSB.
He cited directives from the senate standing committee on sports, which had designated the PSB as the body to handle financial matters for the team’s FIH Pro League participation.
“The PHF has accepted the senate committee’s ruling and is not interfering in these affairs,” Bugti said. “Our priority remains ensuring the national team’s participation in this important competition, which provides valuable exposure against top-ranked teams.”
A PSB official, Rana Nasrullah, countered that the team management had sufficient funds at its disposal, with players also carrying USD 1,650 each.
“If funds were available, why was the hotel arrangement mismanaged? There was also no proper cooking system, forcing players to prepare their own meals,” he said.
When queried about food-related issues, Bugti noted that the squad was en route home and a detailed report would be available upon their arrival in Lahore.
Both the PHF president and the PSB welcomed the prime minister’s directive for a probe. Federal sports minister Rana Sanaullah has constituted an inquiry committee to investigate the matter.
“It is a positive step, and the PHF will present its position before the committee,” Bugti added.
Separately, sources indicated that accommodation payments of USD 3,750 from the first leg in Argentina remain pending.
It is relevant to note that, amid past allegations of financial irregularities against the PHF, the prime minister had released Rs250 million to secure Pakistan’s participation in the Pro League, with the PSB appointed as custodian of financial affairs.
Reports also suggest the PSB had booked the hotel but payment issues arose.
A PHF official, speaking on condition of anonymity, claimed the PSB provided a cheque of Rs10 million to the team management for accommodation upon arrival.
However, hotel rates had increased by then, leading to limited bookings — including a guest house — and shared or substandard rooms, leaving players dissatisfied with both lodging and food.
Sources added that players may address a press conference in Lahore to clarify the situation.
Pakistan captain Emmad Butt, in a video statement, had earlier refuted claims that the team was left without any hotel accommodation or forced onto the streets.
Players have also expressed discomfort over their daily TA/DA allowance of USD 40 from the PSB, which falls short of the USD 100 stipulated in PHF regulations.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s office issued a statement: “Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has taken notice of the mismanagement in hockey affairs reported in the media, and enquiries are being conducted. Immediate action will be taken against those found responsible.”
Following the notice, Sanaullah expressed grave concern, stating that the PHF’s actions had tarnished the country’s and the sport’s reputation. “Such behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Strict action will be taken against those responsible for mismanagement and bringing disrepute to the sport,” he warned.
While the minister has initiated the inquiry, no specific names of committee members have been announced. Observers have noted that an inquiry conducted solely by PSB or ministry officials may lack full independence, and a neutral body would better serve impartiality.
Published in Dawn, February 18th, 2026



